Saturday, October 13, 2012

Economies of Scale? (with two babies under two)

"What percentage of the effort involved in looking after one baby is looking after two?"

An innocent question from one of my non-parent friends.

"I think 300%" I said.

He was utterly shocked.

"Over 200%! No economies of scale?!".

"None!" I claimed. "Just think, when baby 2 poos you have to contain baby 1 before you change the nappy. When baby 2 is in the high-chair eating pureed parsnip, you're not so good at stopping baby 1 pulling the eggs off the counter on to the floor. Breast-feeding baby 2? What then when baby 1 decides to clean mud off his tricycle with a newly washed blanket? It's quite hard to stagger over with baby on the boob to stop him. Extra washing."

"OK, ok, so let's brainstorm" he said.
"Can they play together?"
"Baby 1 likes to body-slam baby 2 who then cries."
"What about if you train baby 1 to help with nappy change?"
"Tried it. Baby 1 fetches nappies as requested but then, when praised, he empties the whole lot out on the floor"

I had a good think and decided no, two under two is just quite hard. No economies of scale just yet.

....and then this happened!


So now I can put my feet up. Happy days.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! Baby 1 bodyslamming Baby 2 made me chuckle perhaps a career in wrestling is on the horizon, taking after his athletic mummy but in a slightly different way!!

    ReplyDelete