Saturday, June 30, 2012

Volunteering with Ready Steady Mums

Thanks for such a great response to my volunteer appreciation blog entry! I hope you all had fun celebrating volunteers week 2012.

It makes me really happy to be surrounded by fellow mums, sharing the highs and lows of motherhood and supporting each other along the way. That's why I set up the Local RSM volunteer programme, and I'm very proud that, through that, Ready Steady Mums has become a national partner of Sport Makers.  With Sport England's Sport Makers programme we're helping to increase participation in sport across the UK as part of the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic legacy. Well done to our volunteers who won tickets to the games for their brilliant work!

Since so many people have asked how it works and how to get involved, today I want to show you two videos....

1. Rhian is a Ready Steady Mums volunteer who runs weekly Local RSM sessions in her park. She brightens up the day for all the mums who come to her sessions, she works really hard to motivate and support other mums to get active and feel good about themselves.

Rhian agreed to be interviewed about volunteering so her story could be used by Sport England to inspire other mum volunteers and I thought you'd like to hear her. 

2. Sport Makers and Ready Steady Mums supports volunteers to "make sport happen" as part of official London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic sports legacy. I've been talking at Sport Makers workshops about mums like Rhian to help inspire volunteers around the UK to deliver their own Olympic and Paralymic legacy in their communities.

We made this video to introduce Local RSM at Sport Makers workshops I'm not at in person. 

Volunteers can be pregnant, new mums, or none of the above! Some volunteers organise walking groups, some exercise following the Ready Steady Mums guidance and some do running. It's up to you!

If you're thinking you'd like to volunteer please get in touch and we'll help you get set up (volunteer@readysteadymums.com)

4 comments:

  1. Look and even the Prime Minister will love you http://www.number10.gov.uk/news/pm-pays-tribute-to-the-volunteers-behind-the-olympic-games/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Running a group is great fun and doesn't take much prep time (and doesn't require a great knowledge about anything!) I loved running the Southfields RSM group before I went back to work. Now I am working I really miss getting together with local mums and doing exercise. I've run the group in rain and shine and whilst feeling poorly... Every time is the same. I leave feeling invigorated and inspired. Monday mornings aren't the same anymore :( but I get to join back in with the group in a couple of weeks time during the school holidays!!! For anyone keen to have fun and meet like minded mums- get involved!! :) Elena (a happy Southfields RSM mum)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really do enjoy volunteering, it is so satisfying doing sessions and making them fun and engaging. And meeting other mums in the area is brilliant, I have found since starting with Ready Steady Mums and then volunteering with them that you get to know so many more people. It is so nice to walk down the street now and know people to say hi and have a chat with, that I just wouldnt have done before. There really is so much more to volunteering than just exercising in the park together (although thats great too)! I get so much out of it and have made some great new friends along the way, if anyone is thinking about volunteering, my advice is do it ...and you wont look back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, volunteering is a great motivator. I want to exercise and I want to meet other mums and by committing to run weekly sessions I know that I will do both of these. It makes me get out and move about in a fun and social way. It has also made me think more about the exercise that I do and trying to balance out my workouts so I'm not doing the same thing every time.

    ReplyDelete