Thursday, May 31, 2012

Celebrating and Appreciating Volunteers

Ready Steady Mums joined the annual campaign to celebrate the fantastic contribution that millions of volunteers make across the UK - 1st-7th June Volunteers Week 2012.

How do volunteers motivate and inspire other mums to exercise together? We asked both volunteers and the mums attending their Local RSM sessions: What makes mums decide whether to turn up for the session each week?

Top answers from volunteers

  1. Do I sound like I know what I'm doing?
  2. Does she like me?
  3. Is it raining?

Top answers from group members

  1. Did my baby sleep well last night?
  2. Do I look ok in my sports kit?
  3. Is it raining?

WHAT A CONTRAST!

Well we already knew that mums are not renowned for their bolshy self-belief, arrogance or over-confidence...

So I'd like to celebrate and appreciate the fantastic work of our Local Ready Steady Mums volunteers offering their time to run groups that motivate, inspire and support other mums to get active.

Please leave a comment about a volunteer who inspires you, and tell us why she's great!

Photos by Nancy Honey (c)

3 comments:

  1. Cathy Chastney who is about to take the Monday sessions in King George's Park, Wandsworth is a true inspiration as she will be taking the sessions with her 2 year old and 7 week, yes week! old. No one else has an excuse for not attending! Thank you Cathy in advance for taking these sessions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth White runs a local walking group. She always says if she can do it then I can do it. She's very kind-hearted and encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alice is a fab volunteer for the Garratt Park sessions. She is always prepared and organised and always managed to motivate me to push myself that little bit harder than I would if I was on my own. She inspired me to become a volunteer as well.

    ReplyDelete