Monday, December 31, 2012

What is it like being a Ready Steady Mums Volunteer?



Ready Steady Mums volunteers help other mums to get fit and have fun together by organising weekly exercise sessions in their communities.

I'm delighted that so many mums are making fitness-related new year's resolutions, and asking me about setting up their own group.

So today on my blog, I asked Ready Steady Mums volunteer, Leti, to explain what it's like to organise her Local RSM weekly exercise sessions (at Barnwell Country Park in Oundle every Thursday at 10am).


Q: Why did you decide to become a Ready Steady Mums volunteer? 

Leti: I was looking for 2 things: making "mummy friends" and keeping busy with Emma with at least one activity a day. That and the fact I really enjoy sport, and was missing going to the gym. I'm a teacher and I also coach a variety of sports at school, so combining all this I thought I could help other mums get a good work out once a week and everyone involved would feel good about it!

Q: What does volunteering involve? 

Leti: Volunteering is easy if you are not too shy and come prepared with a session plan. A bit of communication with the group members via Facebook, and then all you need is a smile and energetic attitude, it spreads easily to the others.

Q: Can you describe a typical session? 

Leti: I start with a fun warm-up, and stretches, then we get walking round the park. I plan a few stops along the way to focus on different areas, also alternating strength/conditioning with cardio, and finish with a cool-down. For ideas I use the planner provided by Ready Steady Mums, and also things I've learned from being a gym bunny pre-baby, and coaching teenagers at school. We use benches for press-ups, tree trunks for a short "step" session, we do relays, bring bottles or cans as weights, all you need is imagination!

Q: What are the mums in your group like? 

Let: They are STARS! I think we all look forward to meeting up each Thursday to catch up on our Little Ones progress and share stories and advices. All the while getting fitter, with no pressure about how many reps or how fast a task is done. I hope they feel they can go at their own pace, but I also hope everyone leaves feeling they have pushed themselves hard.

Q: What do you like best about being a volunteer?

Leti: Feeling like I am contributing to something... and a lot more fun than doing "8-minute arms" by myself in the living room!

Q: Have you found anything about volunteering challenging? If so, how have you handled it? 

Leti: The biggest task is to cater for all levels of fitness. You don't want people to find it too easy, but you don't want people to feel inadequate, or worse, hurt themselves. I would hope all new comers want to come back for more the following week! I try to offer options within each exercise, walk/jog/run, or from non-impact jumping-jacks to plank jacks!

Q: What are the benefits to you of being a volunteer?

Leti: Leadership experience, confidence, getting fit myself...

Q: What tips have you got for other volunteers? 

Leti: You don't need to be an expert, just enjoy your sport and want to give a bit of your time to help others get fitter. Try to discover what the expectations of each mum is, so you can then cater for all.

Q: How can new members join your group? 

Leti: We meet at Barnwell Country Park in Oundle at 10am every Thursday. Open to all, tag along for a walk and a chat or go all out for healthily aching muscles the next day!

You can email leti@readysteadymums.com to join her mailing list.
You can hear from more volunteers like Leti on our website.


Want to be like Leti? Here are your simple steps to getting your own group going.

No comments:

Post a Comment