Friday, March 23, 2012

Best buggy for the active mum?

You're having a baby, you need a buggy.

Yes, I hear you say,

"But we've never bought one of those before...
...And what if I want to be an active mum? With my trusty buggy keeping up with the pace?
...Where do I start?!"

It is a pretty daunting task, some compare it to being as technical and important as buying a car.  What features do I really need? Travel systems, back and front suspension, foot or hand brake, adjustable handle, off-road tyres, single-handed collapsible? It really is a pretty mind scrambling purchase for first time parents.

Alice Salt of Ready Steady Mums fame, decided to survey our members and find which one wins for the active mum. Here is what she uncovered.

Alice: Before I started my research I first asked myself that simple question: What's the best buggy for the active mum? 

I am, of course, an active mum myself. I love running with my buggy and getting out and active whenever I can. And my own heart's desire? My dream buggy, not even out yet, The Phil and Teds Sub 4.

But that's not very scientific is it? So, next I asked our members to complete a survey; I spoke with lots of active mums out and about with their buggies; and then I tested a good few buggies myself.
Alice with her local group of Ready Steady Mums     (C) Nancy Honey
Our members said they:
Some clear favourites for keeping active.

I am vetoing the results of best-looking buggy votes since most of us think our own buggies looked the best! But members also pointed out a couple of things to watch out for if you're expecting as much of your buggy as you do yourself:
  1. The worst buggy for applying the brake is a Phil and Teds Sport
  2. The least waterproof is the Quinny Speedi
So, based on overall votes we award the
Gold medal: Out and About Nipper 360 
Runner-up: The Bugaboo Chameleon

On why we chose our buggy usually came down to word of mouth recommendation. Oh, and did anyone mention the price-tag?!

We'd love to hear how you find your own buggies and whether you think any others are worth a mention. Please comment below or on our Facebook page.

Good luck if you are about to make that big purchase decision yourself.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-P0NImCE3Y&feature=channel
    Alice is in this video!

    ReplyDelete