Thursday, October 13, 2011

Get it right you new dads!

How can dads support new mums and help them actively embrace motherhood?

When they get it right, new dads can be heroes

I think we mums all know that ‘looking after me helps me look after my baby’. And we all want to be brilliant mums.

But we often struggle to fit exercise in and cope with the emotional side of getting back into shape.

A supportive attitude from our partners matters a lot. A partner appreciating us - and the amazing body that made his baby - helps us appreciate our own body too. And so we look after it.

Goodness though, they sometimes get it wrong…

A few real mum quotes for you:
“My husband told me not to worry, it’s normal to look like a whale when you’ve recently had a baby”
“My husband goes on and on about me losing weight, nagging me not to eat cakes when I’ve only had 3 hours sleep and can’t face a carrot stick”
“My husband says he’ll look after the baby so I can get some time to myself but then when he does he says things like: What’s that smell? Where are the wipes? Can you hold the legs while I change his nappy?”
“My partner looked lustfully at a photo of me in my wedding dress and ‘reassured’ me that one day I might look good again”

Hmmmmm. So what’s the right approach then?

Thanks to lots of FAB Ready Steady Mums, I tracked down some super-star dads (100% as judged by their baby’s mum). And today I’m delighted to share their insightful, and sometimes amusing, wisdom.

Get involved yourself
“Look at your own belly, have you put weight on too? Lots of new dads do.  Why not try to tone up too and join in the exercise challenge with her?”
“Walking is especially good in the early days of motherhood.  Ditch the car when you can and go out for a walk as a family.”

Have a supportive attitude
“Encouragement = 100% support, 0% nagging.”
“Mums are probably more worried about getting their figure back than you are, so be enthusiastic and share her excitement when she feels she’s improving.” 
“Every ounce counts and deserves encouragement.”

Help out practically
“Promise to help with the baby and then do it – be reliable!”
“Is she getting enough sleep? How can you help her get some more?  Tiredness can be very demoralising.”
“Presents are good. How about a pretty new sports top or a trendy water bottle instead of chocolates?”

Appreciate what she does for your baby
“Listen when she talks about what she’s going through.”
“Do not EVER suggest that being at work is harder than looking after your baby.”
“When mummy has been looking after the naughty baby alone in the early days, try to imagine how exhausted she feels.”

Love her and her body
“Lots of hugs and intimacy! Make a fuss of her and help her get confident again with her body.” 
“Under no circumstances do you agree or say it’s natural when she says she is a huge fatso.”
“It’s normal to make mistakes as a new dad, just make sure you know a florist nearby!”


AND OF COURSE THE VERY BEST NEW DADS SHOW THEIR LOVE WITH A GIFT OF READY STEADY MUMS MEMBERSHIP!

No comments:

Post a Comment